*Note- This post continues the writing from the Book Summaries page. Please read for previous details.*
Once again, another book that I seemed to have fallen in love with. If only I weren’t so ADD, I could read one author then move onto the next, but where would the fun in that be?
Divergent was interesting because, I am not sure if you have been there, but it is based in Chicago. They don’t really hint at the time frame or what happened to Chicago as we know it, but this makes the setting easy to visualize. I think the details the author uses throughout the book are so specific that the movie is going to have a tough time keeping up to par. I did read a movie review though that said the director’s focus was on maintaining the structure of the book and creating similar details so that readers would be proud of his work. Personally, I refused to read many more reviews than that because I plan on watching the movie here shortly now that I have finished the book.
So, here are my questions for those that have watched/planned on watching the Divergent movie and read the book. I would like to see a variety of opinions regarded the movie/book and if you have seen both that would be even better. The following are my discussion questions for those Divergent fans out there. Please feel free to answer one or all if you can!
- Do you think that you would’ve kept it a secret as well as Beatrice did if you were a Divergent?
- Do you think the book would’ve been better/worse with a third person narrator instead of Beatrice?
- Which faction do you think you would’ve fit with the best? As a reminder, they are Abnegation(the selfless), Amity(the peaceful), Candor(the honest), Dauntless(the brave) or Erudite(the intelligent).
- Which was better: the book or the movie? Why?
- What are the main differences from the book compared to the movie? Which contains more details for the viewer/reader?
- Due to all the Hunger Games controversy of them being the same content, did you think this book/movie was better than the Hunger Games?
If you have any other questions that come to mind, to hesitate to ask them. It is a discussion after all!